POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal : Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ATT: POV team and everyone - POV4 design proposal
From: Eugene Arenhaus
Date: 15 Jan 2002 02:25:07
Message: <3C43D729.26CCEBFB@avalon-net.co.il>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> Oops, looks like I forgot to include this link:
> http://www.povray.org/3.5-status.html
> "Third, our most recent musings about POV-Ray 4 lean towards a major
> reworking of the POV Scene Description Language. This means that POV 4
> may not be fully backwards compatible with old scenes. If that is the
> case, we will plan to provide an official conversion utility that will
> convert old scenes into the new syntax, or provide some other means of
> importing old scenes."

Exactly. :) Thanks for looking it up.

> > Can I make a macro that would calculate a macro that I would pass it in
> > a parameter?
> Not currently. But this has little to do with anything being
> "precalculated", POV just assumes you want the result of a macro call
> instead of the macro identifier, similar problems exist with splines and
> functions. It should be possible to implement with a little parser work.

Well, as people have pointed out, there are some workarounds for it...
but that's precisely what I offered to avoid: workarounds and kludges.
:)

> > I would say that scalar is merely a 1-dimensional vector.
> Well, not in the mathematical sense, but probably so practically. Are
> you suggesting some way of specifying the number of components of a
> vector?

That's one possibility. A vector could be a class the instances of which
know their component number, or there are other ways.